Countdown to Kidneys Being Included.......

Friday, March 5, 2010

Outlook grim

So, we get to Barnes and the doctors and the questions begin. This part of the story is pretty long and will go on for weeks but I want to share something interesting I learned about this hospital. First and foremost, it is top of the line, state of the art, some of the best doctors and nurses in the world, kind of hospital. But much to my surprise, there are very few private rooms. This freaked me out initially but once I saw my little old lady roommate, I was okay. She snored really loud and preferred to sleep with her TV on its highest volume, but that was nothing a few sleeping pills couldn't fix. So all was well for the next day and night with this roommate. But that would soon change.

Barnes quickly realized I had no veins left to work with, since Danny at the old hospital mutilated my arm, so 2 doctors placed a central line. This scared me a lot but it wasn't too bad and it made labs a lot easier. The only really scary part of the central line placement (which was in my neck) was that it took 4 hours to stop bleeding because I had basically no platelets at this point. It took several different nurses to hold pressure on my neck for 4 consecutive hours before it would clot. I was really sick.....too sick to really care......but I knew it wasn't looking good. During this time, a wonderful doctor came in the room to tell me it was a good thing I didn't go to Little Rock to have that kidney biopsy done because with my platelet count, I would have probably bled to death. Another example of God watching over me!

No comments:

Post a Comment